Tuesday, March 30, 2010

C25K - Week 2 Day 3 - -Count it, Baby!

Lexington, KY - 10:30 a.m.:  There are moments in history that are forever etched into our collective souls:  the Marines raising the flag at Iwo Jima ;  The Berlin Wall coming down in Germany; the
pride displayed in Tiananmen Square.  These are all significant milestones that immediately conjure specific images of amazing accomplishments.  On that March day in 1945, amidst the horror of the battlefield, one soul took pause to memoralize, even in grainy black & white, "Old Glory" being raised by our boys.  Inspiration comes to mind when we recall the image of one lone protester standing in defiance against the iron behomeths at Tiananmen in the quest for freedom.  Captured forever is the joy when the Berlin Wall finally fell.  This photographic chronology serves as one of the many threads that bind us together within the human condition.  So it is with great honor that I am blessed to add to the historical perspective.  Today I completed Week 2 Day 3 of the "Couch to 5K" running program (C25K)

It proved to be an excellent week of running.  While the weather was a bit on the cool side - averaging in the low to mid 40's, often overcast, with sporadic episodes of rain; this morning dawned clear and crisp.  Fresh AAA batteries were nestled within my MP3, chomping restlessly at the proverbial bit - -they wanted to do their job.  Lacing up my shoes, I believe I can say that I have experienced the same feeling that Michael Jordan had before a crucial game 7, or that Tiger Woods must have felt, having $4000 burning a hole in his pocket and seeing a pair of 38D silicone freezer bags attached to a pole clutching "student working her way through college."   "Before me is a Summit I must conquer" . . . 

This week went great!  The tweeks and pangs from Week 1 were but a memory.  And I loved the fact that I was down to 6 intervals - -true, each interval is longer, but still . . . .even moreso . . something changed for me - -mentally and physically.  No longer was I running to lose weight - - it became a by-product.  Running has become a pursuit.  I want to run more so I can run longer . . and faster.  Years of being a "walker" washed away as I jetted by mothers with strollers, house fraus in their Day Glo spandex . . .I left them in my wake . . or at least as large of a  metaphorical wake that a 264 lb Shrek-like oaf can generate at a whopping 6 mph.  My knees feel great,  I have no soreness . . . . I run with pride . . .and just a slight bit of chaffing that I am attending to but lets not take away from the moment.

I run in a small neighborhood park close to the house here.  The park is a typical neighborhood park - -approximately 7 to 10 acres, meandering aphalt walking paths, a tennis court, monkey bars etc . . . this is my battleground . . .and when the Visigoth warriors that are Self Doubt, a Warm Bed, and a surprising delightful Spinach/Egg Quiche attempt to confine me behind the walls of my self-imposed gelatinous flabby prison - -here, here . . .is where I lay them to waste . . . .I COMPLETED WEEK 2 DAY 3 . . . .and as is with all momentous and historical occasions, I saw fit that it forever be captured to serve as motivation for generations to come. . . .





"Juoksen siis olen"
"Curso ergo sum"
"Devo farce per eseguire pertanto ho"
"Corro, luego existon"
"Ja trcanje zato sam"
"Se poutet sa mwen Kouri Mwen"
"I run, therefore I am"


" . . . . . . I AM . . . . . . . "

                         

1 comment:

  1. ... eloquent ... deep ... insightful ...

    Good job, man!!

    ReplyDelete