Friday, April 2, 2010

My Props to Goodwill & another Motivating Factor for Me

There it was - -right between my toes - - the neon number  "260" on the bathroom scales . . .260 lbs - -I had gotten rid of another 3 lbs in just the past few days; bringing my total to 46 pounds lost since Jan.01, 2010.  There is a sense of pride when you acomplish a goal; but I am realizing that appreciating the challenge to get there, and acknowledging those small milestones are a joy in themselves.  The forecast for today was a sunny 80 degrees - -here in central Kentucky - - in April.  Summer decided to take 3 of our kids and Molly, our boxer - about 45 miles south to her homeplace, Mt.Vernon, Kentucky and spend the day with her sister Amber and Amber's two children, Jake and Owen.

This left Justin, our 14 year old and myself here at the house.  Sam (8) and Elliot (11) both were attending their last day of school before Easter/Spring Break started for them.  The power of suggestion can be a persuasive internal voice - -and I just knew when I was dressing after weighing myself that my clothes were absolutely hanging off my body.  "Self" I said . . ."Self, this shirt is completely swallowing me - -this is definitely a 300 lb guys shirt - - - a svelte 260 pound, up-and-coming runner wouldn't be caught dead in this tent."







I continued hunting through the closet - scoffing at nearly every shirt I came across - - "Hrrmmph . . .XXL - no way" . . . . . ."Big & Tall - - forget it . . I need a new wardrobe and a new wardrobe I shall have."  When it comes to "clothes shopping" it ranks somewhere between expressing the dog's anal glands and the new addition my doctor added at my physical when I turned 40.

As a brief aside, having a wife that "handles" that type of thing is another tiny secret to a happy marriage - shopping, I mean, not the proctology metaphor.  Over the years, Summer has kept me appropriately dressed - despite my unintentional efforts of keeping up an appearance somewhere between a semi-successful indigent and a 1984 Gym teacher.




There have been times that items have slipped through the cracks - - I recall with great pride several pairs of underwear that appeared to have received a close-range shotgun blast to the crotches; but overall - new clothes show up and old ones just "disappear".  All of this with me never stepping foot inside of anything remotely resembling a clothing retail store.

Today was going to be different.  I was going shopping and I knew exactly the place that would match my tastes, my fashion acumen, and my wallet . . .





Goodwill is the "bomb".  I love a place that I can walk into and if, if I choose can point at any item, and with price tag unseen, say "I'll take it . . .as a matter of fact I'll take the whole blooming rack" and be able to pay for it with the change I have in my truck console.  Let me be perfectly clear - - I am in no way disparaging Goodwill - - it is a solid charity and they are . .OOOH, Loooky . . . an Ocean Pacific T-shirt circa 1986 for 50 cents . .






Long and the short of it - -went on my own to Goodwill and in what would be a fair appraisal bought $400 worth of designer golf shirts and shorts for $35. . . and they are in good shape.  I am a stickler for looking for pit stains and them little fabric dingle balls that form in the crotch area (look at that - -worked crotch in fairly effectively twice in one blog post)

Now my closet is stacked with Pierre Cardin and J. Crew; Van Heusen and Polo . . .there are several Goodwill outlets in Lexington and I have a secret little gold mine of one, shown to me by my wife, that sits right on the edge of one of those snooty gated communities - - -BINGO . . . now I will be dressed to impress

 


Tomorrow is W3D2 of C25K.  Am going to get up early and knock it out - -if I hadn't made the commitment to stick exactly to the program I would have run it today since yesterday's run felt so good. 




On many of the running forums I frequent, there is always a topic, or topics, about what motivates one to run.  For me, first and foremost, it is my family.  However, there are other  motivators as well - -one of them being this:







Yep, verifiable proof that two men (Drew & Michael) can reproduce.  I am the Carey-Moore baby.


2 comments:

  1. Goodwill!! LOL Your post reminded me something I promise myself when I looked to the mirror and saw my biggest size ever. I swear to not buy anything expensive for that size, ever. Because expending a lot of money in huge pants would be like accepting that I'll use that for a long time. So, for 2 years I didn't buy expensive stuff. Now I'm getting the pounds off of me, but still wont buy good clothing until reaching my goal weight. Do I make any sense?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make complete sense. Goodwill works perfect for those transition phases - - and this Goodwill that I am going to haves primo stuff - -I know that the shirts I am paying $2.50 for I am going to turn for a profit at $5 a pop when they are too big and my wife has her next yard sale. Location, location, location . .there is another Goodwill on the north side of town and it is pure crap-ola. Thanks for visiting my blog and I hope you come find it worh your time to come back . .

    Brian

    ReplyDelete