Thursday, April 1, 2010

W3D1 - - In the books, baby

I literally bounded out of bed this morning, ready to whup W3D1 (Week 3, Day 1) of my Couch to 5K program.'s behind.  My equipment was prepped and ready for my ascent to the summit.  While it isn't Under Armour, they are my battle fatigues


A clothes horse I am not, but you have to represent when you are out pounding the pavement







In my enthusiasm to get started, the realization dawned on me that I was a bit "too chipper" and was up and going significantly ahead of my wife's first cup of coffee - so I am lucky that I have any documentation of this momentous occassion


Summer wasn't much on my proposal of her following me to the park and videotaping my quest; as a matter-of-fact she wasn't interested in even photographing the finish - -but after some careful bargaining I did get her to agree to "Simulated Documentation"



Here I am at the Starting Line (Simulated)

Today's run went excellent.  While on some of the C25K forums I have gotten an idea, generally, of some of the upcoming weeks, but as a rule - -I have no clue what the intervals are going to be.  Ullrey's Couch to 5K podcast is my guide and I hear it for the first time as I am running.  For anyone that may be viewing and interested - -all of Ullrey's podcasts are free and easy to download.  With a combination of music and his voice prompting you - he does the timing of the intervals and leaves you to your current pursuit of attempting not to have a stroke.

Today's program was the initial 5 minute warm up - 90 second run, 90 second brisk walk, 3 minute run, 3 minute brisk walk, 90 second run, 90 second brisk walk, 3 minute run, 5 minute cool down ( I believe I have that correct - don't want to check a printed copy - spoil the surprise of Week 4).

Week 3 Day 1 has been the most enjoyable thus far.  It is obvious to me that my fitness level is growing, and I sincerely was disappointed and nearly unfazed when the work-out ended.  In a previous post I provided a link to Breathing Techniques and this may have just been the cherry on top of my running.

Although in solitude, I crossed the Finish Line STRONG!!!!


(Image Simulated)


My reception at home was a bit warmer than when I left.  Summer was on her third cup of coffee and the kids had given her an appropriate wake-up call


Good ole Molly was as enthusiastic and impressed as she could possibly be





This awesome morning culminated in me meeting my smallest fan, Kyra,  after my shower (Note:  Added benefit - I am down another shirt size, I'm an XL now, and am well on my way through my size 40 shorts.  I was wearing size 46 on Jan. 01)
Although Kyra did not seem as thrilled about my run - -she was still a good prop for a ham-handed attempt at a t-shirt sight gag




No comments:

Post a Comment