Saturday, April 10, 2010

W4D3 - The Gauntlet and Victory!

Up and at it early this morning - -the primary thought in my mind was to get out and pound that pavement.  When I completed today it would be W4D3 in the books and I would be past the halfway point in my C25K program.  I'm not viewing the end of the program as an end to my running - - no way.  It will be a cool milestone for me though.  Running is not an easy sport.  It is not a simple exercise.  The mental barriers are as challenging as the physical ones.  This t-shirt I came across sums it up perfectly:

"My Sport is Your Sport's Punishment"

I love it.  There is such truth in that phrase - -I like the ego involved as well.  Running is a challenge.  But it is incredibly rewarding beyond the physical aspects and the fitness benefits.  When I complete a run, I feel a deeper sense of self-pride more than any other "official" athletic achievement in my life.  You can't sit out a play in running. There are not teammates on which to rely.  You are either running or you are not.  So much of it is getting to that level of mental strength to overcome the fear, embarrassment, hesitancy and self-doubt that you may have.  Four weeks ago I started this program and it was difficult running for 60 seconds straight.  Week one was 8 intervals of 60 seconds of running with significant walking, or "recovery" periods, in between.  Sixty seconds of running was a freakin nightmare . . . .flash forward to today:  I easily completed two runs of 3 minutes duration and 2 runs of 5 minutes duration.  My fitness level is increasing, but more importantly I have changed the perspective and paradigm through which I view my ability.  It reminds me of something I read about motivation and the power of the mind:

Imagine this:  You are at home and hear a knock on the door.  You answer to find a gentleman standing there and he asks you if you would like to earn $100.  You respond, "Sure . . .how?"  He takes you out to the street where you see a construction I-beam; the large metal beams they construct skyscrapers with?  Approximately 6 to 8 inches wide - 10 inches high.  It is sitting flat on the street in front of you - - the length of the I-beam is 10 feet long.  The gentleman tells you, "If you walk across that I-beam, I will pay you $100".  I am hard pressed to think of anyone that wouldn't jump at that easy $100;  I would dance across the thing.

He then asks you, "How would you like to make $500?"  After acing the first challenge, many would immediately say, "Yes", others may ask "How" . . . the gentleman motions behind you and you turn.  The ten foot section of I-beam is now a 200 foot long section, just over half the length of a football field.  The gentleman says, "Walk it - and you will earn $500".  Again - most of us would walk the length of that I-beam, perhaps even skipping, knowing that it was probably the easiest $500 we ever made.

You return to the man, receive your $500 and are glowing.  The gentleman then asks, "Would you like to earn $1000?"  "Yes!", you shout . .already seeing your checking account growing.  "Turn around" he says. . .this time when you turn around - the same 200 foot section of I-beam is before you, but you are immediately struck with vertigo . . . a stiff wind hits you in the face, causing you to squint . . . there is moisture in the air . . you reorient yourself and realize you are no longer on your street - -but standing atop one of the towers at the World Trade Center . . .and before you is the same I-beam you had just walked for $500; except this time it is spanning the distance between Tower 1 and Tower 2 - 1300 feet above the sidewalk; over 1/4 of a mile off the ground.  You feel a slight sense of nausea and dizziness . . the man says something to you but






you can't hear him clearly due to the swirling winds in your ears - -you steady yourself and lean closer . ."Go ahead!" he shouts . . . . ."Are you crazy?" you scream back . . . ."No way!"  The gentleman responds, "How about $5000 to walk that same beam to the other side" He points across the chasm at the opposite tower - - you can barely see the end of beam affixed to the building due to the fog & clouds.  "There is no way!" you scream back . . ."No!"  The man says, "But it is the same beam . . . .$10,000!!!"  At this point you want nothing more than return home, money be damned . . . . . ."Never - - -that is 110 stories!!" you yell.  Your teeth are chattering from the fear and chill . . . .. "Fine!", the gentleman responds . . . . "Walk it for free" and points back, across the beam towards the opposite tower.  You look in the direction he is pointing and you notice some figures moving around in the grey distance.  You squint to get a better look, and in horror realize that there are two burly characters holding a struggling individual - -one of your loved ones:  could be your child, could be your spouse, could be your parent . . . .whoever it is that you have that unconditional love for, is now being held suspended - -1300 feet above the ground, over the edge of the building... "Walk or they will be dropped" . . . . your first step is immediate . . . . . . .


.  . .How quickly does your perception change in your ability and motivation to walk that same 200 feet of I-beam?  Hell or high water, you are crossing that beam . . .




While it is a bit dramatic - -I think this exemplifies the way we perceive our abilities in a situation or when faced with a challenge - - it is all in how we frame our motivations.


THE RUN


Today dawned beautiful:   sunny and clear.  The temperature was brisk and perfect for a morning run.


This is the view looking down my street.  This past week I have started running in the neighborhood instead of going to the park.  I have conquered the park.  Plus the added benefit of running in the neighborhood is that I know people see me and I want to put on a good show; plus the audience keeps me in good form.  I feel like I have come far enough along that I will not be pooping out or dragging along - -so what the heck . . .feast your eyes on this folks . . yep, its me . . .Fat Brian . . the guy who always had a cold beer and a hot braut (not a euphemism in this instance but you may see the term "hot braut" in a more amorous posting at some point) in his hand . . .as Forrest Gump so eloquently said . . ."from then on . .whenever I was going somewhere . . .I WAS RUNNING!!!!!!"





Psyched and ready to go, I "geared" up.  Lately I have been taking my buddy, Dave's (aka Man_Boobs) advice and have tried stepping up my running apparell just a bit.



Nothing like forgetting to crop out the dog in a good "crotch-sniff" photo - -but I digress - - - due to the high 40's temperature range, I decided to break out my "new" long sleeve Reebok running shirt.

Retail: $29.99 / My Goodwill Price: $2.50

Stylish and thrifty . . ..





This run was not going to be without its challenges -  but little did I know that they would come from within my "Inner Circle".  My first hurdle, and the most surprising, came in the form of Jackson - my own personal trainer - who met me at the door as I was getting ready to leave and in a brilliant Shakesperian twist, offered me some "Forbidden Fruit"


"Corndog, Daddy?"




"Mmmmmmm.........Corn Dog . . . . . . . . . . "




Judas!  Benedict Arnold!  My own son . . .this was worse than any Survivor blindside I had ever witnessed




I struggled out the door into the bright sunshine - - my resolve and will had been damaged but I was strong.   My head was still reeling as I began to affix my headphones to get Ullrey pumping through my brain . .and that is when I hear "It" . . . . in as stereotypical  a Heart of Bah-ston (Boston) accent that you can imagine:






"Hey Brian . . . . How Fa-ah Ya Runnin Today??" 




It was Paul, my much beloved friend and next door neighbor . . .clutching two glorious bags of warm, freshly made, Spalding's Donuts  . .the single greatest donut on the face of the earth - -if you look closely at the bag in his left hand you can see the warm, greasy-sweet, sugary "donut sweat" had already dampened the paper sack . . . . . .




"Mmmmmmmmm . . . . .Donuts . . . . . . . ."








I fled . . . turned on my heel and ran as if my life depended on it . . . .leaving Paul and his gloriously delicious bags of "fat-pills".


The run was absolutely fantastic.  It was early, 9:00 a.m - -birds were chirping, yard sales were going on . . the neighborhood was rather bustling . . .and round every corner, every other passing car . . neighbors and friends were waving and hollering . .. smiles galore . . .I felt as if I were in a parade . . . .no, no . . . I felt like a strange amalgamated and amorphic combination of Rocky and Forrest Gump . .





I was FORREST CHUMP!! AND I WAS RUN-NING. . . . . .!!!"



W4D3 was great . . . .and I am so pumped for Week 5 - -  "Brian! Brian! Brian!"

4 comments:

  1. Wow, neighbors pursuing you in the street with bags of donuts ... you do have it tough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life is like a box of chocolates mmmmmmm chocolate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy am I glad I don't have any donut bearing neighbours, that would be danger wil robinson territory for me!

    On to week 5!

    ReplyDelete