Wednesday, April 14, 2010

W6D1 Complete, W2D2 100/200/200 complete, 5K Speed work - complete

Had a great fitness day.  After completing a 5K ahead of schedule on Monday - I decided to bounce past the rest of Week 5 of the program  - and go on to Week 6.  I want to finish out the program "officially".  I ran the intervals, walked the appropriate intervals, no worries - - was able to get to the 3 mile mark even with the walking.  After completing the program, I started what is going to be a new addition to my training - - 400's intervals.  Hal Higdon promotes 400 intervals to help assist increasing your 5K time . . .  400= 1/4 mile.  So after my C25K run,  I then ran hard for 1/4 mile, walked a 1/4 mile, ran a 1/4 mile then walked a 1/4 mile.  Felt great doing it.  I didn't time them  - but they went well.  I will run them again, untimed, on Friday - -then starting Monday, I will do them three times a week for two weeks, trying to increase my time.  After that I will bump them up to 800's . . .run 800, walk 800, run 800, walk 800 . . . for two weeks . . .then 3 weeks before Possum Ridge . . .go back to 400's  - dropping them completely the week before the race.

Came home after the run and completed W2D2 of my strength training - - nothing amazing - -pushed through it - - made it.

The big news of the day is that I am going to be one of the newest owners of a Garmin 305 Forerunner - - - it should be here any day . . . and I have my crack team of analysts (Dave, aka Man_Boobs) at the ready to continue my transformation from Shrek to Drago


This will not be the first time that Dave has tried to help me inprove my fitness performance through the use of science and technology.  Unfortunately, back in Week 2, due to budget constraints and a rejected stimulus money application - -Dave went to the workshop to put together a homemade fitness tracker


Although we were enthusiastic, the results were less than stellar



And this . . . .



Fortunately, I have recovered and am ready for the second round of testing . . . . .Yippeee!!!

1 comment:

  1. 400's intervals sound interesting, I might look them up (and convert them to KM because I have no idea how long a mile is hehe) and use them to prep for my first "race" in August.

    You are putting me to shame with your efforts, I best put down the chocolate and get moving ;)

    ReplyDelete